FREQUENCY OF SUICIDAL IDEATION IN DIAGNOSED PATIENTS OF SCHIZOPHRENIA

Main Article Content

Ammara Butt
Farasat Ali
Javaria Fatima
Aamir Furqan

Abstract

Objective: To investigate the frequency of suicidal ideation in diagnosed pa- tients of schizophrenia.

Methodology: This cross sectional analysis was conducted on in-door patient of Department of Psychiatry, Nishtar Hospital, Multan who were diagnosed with schizophrenia from March 2016 to September 2016. One hundred and fifty pa- tients were selected for this purpose in accordance with the inclusion and exclu- sion criteria. Beck scale for suicidal ideation was used to figure out the frequen- cy of suicidal ideation. Data was entered & analyzed by using SPSS version 23.0.

Results: A total of 150 patients were selected. Among these, 87 (58%) were male patients and remaining 63 (42%) were females. Mean age of the patients was 28.21 ±5.91 years. Suicidal ideation was found in 38 (25.33%) of schizophrenic patients. Male patients having suicidal ideation were 26/87 (29.88%) and female patients having suicidal ideation were 12/63 (19.04%). Severe suicidal ideation was found in 01 (1.6%) female and 5 (5.7%) male patients.

Conclusion: Suicidal ideation was found in a significant number of patients with schizophrenia. Suicidal ideation was more common and more severe in male patients compared to females.

Article Details

How to Cite
1.
Butt A, Ali F, Fatima J, Furqan A. FREQUENCY OF SUICIDAL IDEATION IN DIAGNOSED PATIENTS OF SCHIZOPHRENIA. J Postgrad Med Inst [Internet]. 2018 Jul. 5 [cited 2022 Jun. 30];32(2). Available from: https://jpmi.org.pk/index.php/jpmi/article/view/2168
Section
Original Article
Author Biographies

Ammara Butt, Assistant Professor Of psychiatry Fatima jinnah Medical University

Assistant Professor Of psychiatry Fatima jinnah Medical University

Farasat Ali, Assistant Professor Of psychiatry Fatima jinnah Medical University

Assistant Professor Of psychiatry Fatima jinnah Medical University

Javaria Fatima, Amna Inyat Medical college Lahore

Senior Demonstrator

Aamir Furqan, Nishtar Medical University, Multan

Assistant Professor